It is often seen that writers spend precious money ,not to mention their writing time ,on conference every year but it makes doubly disturbing that so many of us fall in pray to innocent mistakes that can keep us from getting the most out of them.
So here let’s look forward for the 8 biggest academic conference Blunders that usually takes place:
- Approaching the agents or the editors in the wrong way: It is often noticed that writers often don’t use their common sense when approaching the editors or agents. Some of the errors it has been found that following the editors to their restroom and requesting for an interview or sometimes even approaching an editor or agent who is busy in talking with some another person. The best time to approach them, when they are not in the session or doing any kind of private conversation with any people. Always it is better to recommend a social setting or after the conference panel or workshop withheld. Ask for their time to meet and gently show them the respect with a polite and kind behavior. Offer the editor or the agent with some coffee or relaxation stuff so that they feel comfortable to talk and feel free also. Offer them a good place so that the conversation goes on without any kind of interruption.
- Bad Attitude should be avoided: Never come to the conference in a bad attitude. We have seen that some writer’s feel that the conference is slanted against them. They think others have an access to an inside track that’s closed to them when in reality everyone is treated alike and any related resources are allocated to the first come and first served basis. While undergoing a meeting with an agent for a consult, never expect a complete critique of the work. So it is very important that we need understand that this is the best possible opportunity to present in this academic conference and if the agent fined its interesting then there may be many probable chances where he or she will ask to send more works to be reviewed out of interest.
- Forgetting to do the Homework: In some writers we can find that they don’t plan ahead, even though they can’t even match in what is being taught and about the talking’s of the teachers said in the conference. Conferences offer the websites and brochures so the basic information is available well ahead of time. A call to the conference organiser is a very easy way to get the additional information. Failing to Dress for Success, Sometimes writers in short sleeves and sandals without a jacket or a sweater. It includes air conditioning in the hall which results in shivering. Conference attendees should always layer up properly to feel comfortable during the on-going of the seminar.
- Overlooking Pitch Session Preparation work: It is very important to find the perfect fit for the agent so that while pitching the fantasy manuscript to an agent who works primarily with literary fiction will not bring a writer any close to publication. Conferences often supply speakers for a reason. Try to read them. Old interviews, broadcasts are available featuring these agents are often readily available online, and agency websites are full of information. Writing a book truly takes dedication and time though while undergoing thorough research. Choosing the right agent or query pitch often requires same consideration. Proper place is very important where the work fits in, as it is very important to look very professional and proper illustration and elaboration makes the presentation quiet interesting and really attractive for the listeners to learn many new things.
- Missing opportunities to Network: The biggest blunder for attendees is not planning ahead and bringing networking items like cards, brochures and books to trade and give away. Too often it is found that attendees do not interact with each other and the speakers as much as possible. Writers attend the conference for a wide number of reasons but chief among them reasons include the networking with the editors, agents and fellow writers. Getting a card or a brochure will help to build contacts and supporters for writing purpose.
- Play it very safe: Basically we never know whom we can meet up while having a coffee in the corridor. So if we spend the entire time loitering with our friends then we may miss out many interesting conversations and connections. The best strategy is to challenge oneself to sit down for meals alone and meeting up many new people. Even there is ample time to catch up with friends once the event is over.
- Failing to follow: A lot of writers fail to follow up with the agents and the editors in a timely manner. Writers should wait and six months after the conference to get back an editors on an idea which is sometimes too long. If something positive feedback is obtained after two weeks then follow up process should be started after the process of conference.
- Giving Up Control: There are few writers who always try to make themselves feel better by bragging deliberately diminishing others work. Secondly a little amount of insecure, belittled, envious immediately exactly after the conversation. So better we should be having control over our emotions and every aspect of our work.
So never hurt the chances of excelling in the academic conference, than to take avoid such blunders committed in such academic conferences.
Contented by: www.conferencealert.com
Academic conference can sometimes seems like as overwhelming work at times. Speaking confidently, positively, and preparing an excellent presentation are obviously an invaluable tools. But there are many simple steps which you can utilize to maximize your presentation in the academic conference.
Useful Tips Are As Follows:
- Select the correct conference
There will be a huge number of conferences in your general field over a course of a year. Choose which conference is most crucial and relevant out your interest and work in which you are involved by searching conference releases.Firstly, ensure that you satisfy your reason for attending the conference, most of the researchers don’t primarily attend academic conferences to know more about the subject but rather they attend to establish their networks with other people or experts. It might be scary at the first time to talk in front of so many people but once you find that your topic is being cherished by the audience then you have a good chance to get to meet many well-known experts who are attending the conference.
- Do your homework properly
Go in correct direction and make yourself confident and positive and attend the events which are linked with the conference events and select which programs and events you would like to go and which program would be benefit you.
Once you have created a proper schedule, then do the important readings to ensure that you are good enough to effectively participate and contribute in the events and group talk exercises.
- Ask For Help
Get help from colleagues such as research collaborators and supervisors, they can easily simplify your task tremendously by making you known to other big delegates and other well-known speakers (sometimes in advance).
Always encourage the questions which are being asked to you and from your side ask questions which you feel you need to know. It will help you as well as the audience to share each-others ideas, just be clear with your each response and make yourself presentable in front of other people, sometimes from the audience comments become very embarrassing for the presenter who thinks no one lined their papers. But take that embarrassing moment in account and prepare for the next presentation.
As an academic you may probably poor at management and other organization related issues, just stick to the academic things (select special notes and papers and start managing and creating a paper as well as a poster sessions).
- Get involved in the tasks
Getting used to the talks with less amount of audiences will boost your opportunities to get new ideas, share ideas. Keep in mind to bring a small notebook just pay attention and write down the important notes and ask questions if you have any doubts.
Starting one on one conversations with the colleagues can prove a mighty fruitful, making your own presentations will also help but make it short clear and easy to understand by the majority of the audience so that you can attract more and more expert people in your pocket to spread you network.
- Never underestimate the power of the posters
Even if You are speaking, just consider making a poster so that it helps in one on one opportunity in the poster sessions which can sometimes present more productive and give you other opportunities than speaking in front of an audience.
- Prepare your elevator pitch
As awkward as it sounds, a very interesting summary and accomplishments will make everything for your conference experience. For many shy people an early rehearsed pith will help them to assist with the conference and making that conference memorable.
Preparation is crucial but not the rehearsal, in reality too much of rehearsal may lose your self-confidence and make you sound dull, just focus on one thing that to be confident while delivering the presentation.
- Make use of extra-curricular sessions
In general, conferences includes group activities and meals which are present are great for networking opportunities which will often help to feel less pressure. Smile when you begin, the most important aspect while presenting is you’re smiling cause smiling boosts your voice and it helps to recover you from the faults you’re making while presenting.
Just remember that the audience is in your corner, it doesn’t want that you fail while presenting. On the whole, your experience will be enjoyable and it would be more enjoyable if you start thinking that everyone there is to help each other to establish.
- Just be yourself
Although a festive type of atmosphere accompanies conferences, be very careful when you speak and try to think twice and speak and closely monitor the alcohol intake.
Whatever you just don’t think that you can take a sector of paper written for a specific journal or from a chapter of a journal of a chapter written for a book and read it out. A paper which are written for academic releases is rarely suitable for anyone to read it aloud. Just keep in mind that keep the ideas in your mind and write them in a piece of paper specifically for the conference. Focus on less dense with shorter sentences and with more signposts for the audiences.
- Be prepared
Make it easy and simple for the potential collaborators and the other employers to get in touch with you by having a detailed visiting card (business card) prepared very professionally and get others contact so that you can get further update regarding anything you need to know and if someone doesn’t have any business card then just take your notebook and write their contact detail for further communication.
- Follow up
Following the conference, be confident and walk to people and speak to them, just keep in mind that they also used this sort of conferences as an opportunity to establish and create connections with other people and if possible add some of the important information so that they might rethink about what you talked to them.
A conference’s success is not always dependent on the number of the audience or the people running it. There are multi conferences which are being organized on daily weekly or monthly basis depending on the presentations which are being provided.
Contented by: www.allconferencealert.com
Do you know that you are the best ambassador of yourself and the most effectual representative of your brand?
And so, it is important to keep up a high profile and let populace know that you exist. Conferences and networking occasions give everyone an opportunity to get away from their usual work environment for a while, attend educational seminars, and meet up like-minded people in a more relaxed and intellectual setting.
These conferences are a fine platform to get skilled, interact with public, and discover new ways of living and conducting their work lives. Often the organizers put together remarkable and engaging programs covering different aspects of learning and development field. The explicit reason of attending conferences is to listen to and take a note of industry experts’ shared advices and insights into matters that you can benefit from.
Putting or traveling to a conference incurs some cost to you. But, this cost is an investment and the benefits you gain from attending that conference are a return on that investment. And in case multiple people attend, the value increases manifold. So, a day out of your usual routine to sharpen your existing skills and to add a few more to the bundle of already existing ones, is investing in yourself. To better yourselves!
- You can sharpen your skills and learn new approaches and ideas to make yourself more efficient and effective at your work. Attending conferences and listening to speakers from your own areas of interest helps you widen your field of study you are into and also add great value to your research.
- You can meet experts and influencers face to face and you stand a chance to position yourself as an expert in your field. Sitting in the same chair, in the same environment, in the same office can keep you away from fresh ideas and thinking. When you meet new people, new ideas flow in, new concepts evolve and you tend to think in various other directions which you have never thought of before, after interacting with experts who are from the same academic interests that you are from.
- These conferences help you feel integrated with the academic communities. These communities keep you constantly connected with them, and hence the flow of information is continuous. When there is information exchange within people in these communities, you always feel motivated to invent and discover new theories and concepts, which you would not have really pondered on.
- You can meet people who are engrossed in the same matter of research and converse theoretical and methodological ideas. You can mix and mingle, create new relationships, and even strengthen existing ones. You can also encourage constructive criticism when you talk about your work, which helps you gather new ideas.
- You stand a chance that can help you to get to know other scholars and academics and to be known in academic circles by convening prearranged panels for huge academic conferences.
- You can talk to the members and get to know about their schools, colleges, and departments, gathering information about varied places where you might eventually, later in your life, wish to work.
- You can learn more about well-known names in your field, and find that they too were normal human beings like you, who were once graduated students.
- You have opportunities of attending a variety of presentations and hear and discover more about areas of your discipline that may not be researched in your own department.
- Probably, you may realize that your ideas and thoughts are more significant, relatively speaking, than you actually thought. Ultimately, making you realize that you are a knowledgeable, active, and valuable member of your field.
- The flip side of learning and discovering new things is relearning classic methods. Conferences produce opportunities for greater reflection and focus that could help you take you and your work to the next level.
So, there is nothing like being in space of like-minded people – other folks willing to take time out from their tedious schedules and away from their offices to learn something novel. These conferences help you to break out of your comfort zones, which is just like breaking out of old ways of thinking.
Conferences put in another layer of enjoyment and fun to managing yourselves and your career growth by blending in a taste of social aspect to your learning and field efforts. So, a good conference urges you to grow, widen your perspectives, and challenge yourself!
Contented By: Conferencealert.com