Firstly what is meant by ‘Toe-walking’? It is basically a condition where your kid walks on his or her toes or rather to be precise on the balls of their feet. It is not always considered to be an orthopaedic condition which needs treat however you should always be careful. When kids start walking, parents wish the best for them and when they see some differences or other the first thing most of them do is Panic.
But it should be kept in mind always that a child’s body is developing and care must be taken. In case there are some faults in their behaviour or anything it might not be a serious issue always, however care must be taken and faults must be brought into notice immediately. As a child grows, these faults eventually subside and they grow as physically fit individuals.
In case of ‘toe walking’ the situation is similar. If your kid is 2 to 3 years old and all the time he is walking on his toes, do not worry. He will soon be fine most likely. However if he is beyond 3 years then the matter needs immediate attention and you must consult a physician regarding the same.
So if your little one is toe walking, do not get panicked. First try to figure out what could possibly be the reason behind it. There are a huge number of reasons for toe walking in case of kids. They include:
- Simple habit
- Short Achilles tendon
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Some general sensory related issues
The actual cause of ‘toe walking is yet to be known. Physicians are trying to figure that out so that a better and surer form of treatment can be found in case of this kind of conditions in case of kinds of a certain age.
If your child is above 3 years and still continues to show signs of toe walking only then you should be concerned about the points other than the first point. Otherwise the first point is the most probable reason and there is no reason for you to worry. Just a few simple stretching would do the needful. In case of toe walking it should not be considered as a grave issue always. You should pay proper attention to your little one’s condition before you decide what action to take for it.
Sometimes as kids learn to walk they tend to walk on their toes and this starts becoming a habit for them which they continue to practice till age. If it continues way beyond the age of 5 you must consult a physician and do the needful.
A number of different treatments have been developed for ‘toe walking’ in kids. They are:
- Some basic treatments such as stretching and bending exercises for strengthening the leg muscles.
- Using of braces to limit the movement of the legs so that the child cannot get up on their toe as and when they want.
- Botox injections are also given. This is done in order to temporarily paralyze the calf muscles so that the child has to touch the whole foot in order to be able to balance his or her steps properly.
- Serial casting can also be used. A number of castings are done from time to time to strengthen the heel cords.
- Stiff and high boots are also recommended by physicians sometimes so that the child is unable to get into the habit of rising up on his toes conveniently. This compels him to walk on the whole feet at a time.
So there is no need to worry if your child has started walking on his toes. Keep a track of his movements and if this continues to go on for a long time even after the age of 3 then consult a physician. Otherwise just train your kid and convince him to use his whole feet to balance his body while walking. If your child is ‘toe walking’ it does not always mean that there are some serious issues related to it. So just relax and enjoy the moments of your child’s growth and development.
Contented by: Kids Orthopedic.
Brain is the main work station of the whole body. It is a vital system in the whole body that functions as a coordinating centre of various sensations and the activities of nerves. It’s because of the brain we are able to walk, talk, see, smell and feel everything. If the brain fails to perform its activities then the entire functional system in our body starts to behave in an abnormal way. Sadly and unfortunately it’s been seen that some human beings are born with poor brain development which in science is named as Cerebral Palsy (CP). Cerebral Palsy is expounded as a group of lifelong disorders of the body movement and stance that limits all the normal activities in a human being which occurs during the budding brain or new born brain.
Diagnosis based on Symptoms and how such Patients should be Cared:
It is very disheartening to find out that there is no such exact diagnosis or tests to Cerebral Palsy. Diagnosing Cerebral Palsy is pretty time consuming. Sometimes an infant may be soon diagnosed with this disease right after birth but in maximum cases the diagnosis process takes place almost for two years after birth as per symptoms.
- Language and speech disorder is a common symptom amongst cerebral palsy patients.
- People with CP have weak skeletons. They look different, thin and pale than normal human being.
- Disorder in sleeping habits and pain in muscles is another common symptom of CP patients.
- Difficulty in eating, chewing and swallowing food due to lack of sensitivity inside the oral organs.
They also lack proper hearing, sensation, vision problem.
Proper Treatment and Cure:
It is mournful to say that there exist no proper treatment to CP but surely this is somewhat preventable through various supportive medical processes. CP can partly be prevented through immunization of the child’s mother and also by staying cautious to further head injuries. CP can never be fully cured, however few supportive improved medical experiments, medicines and surgery may result as a help to individuals with CP.
- There are few therapies such as body therapy that includes various physical exercises, therapy in proper talking habits or the way of using and applying the mouth organs for speaking to improve he communication skill of the child, seemed to help CP people. Few medications like baclofen, diazepam and botulinum toxin helps to release the stiffness in muscles.
- Surgeries are also performed sometimes to prevent muscle contractions. Surgery includes stretching muscles and cutting down highly active nerves. In some other surgery the nerves of spinal cords are served to decrease the spasticity in legs.
- Few recent mechanical invention of tools are also used to cure the victims of CP. Specially designed braces for bones that helps stretching of the muscle holding bones in definite positions that is equipped to a computer with some special internal devices and a speech machine that aids the CP individual to communicate which certainly acts helpful in a broader way.
- Some other professional therapy can also assist a child to develop and perform normal activities in day to day life.
- Unique educational programmes that are specially framed to help individuals with disabilities in normal learning and for those who are mentally retarded. Counselling is also done in some cases to accustom the CP child with the normal habitats of the natural surroundings and also provide mental support to the family that is dealing with such condition.
Though the rate of victims of Cerebral Palsy is mostly found amongst the infants, it must be dealt with special care and guide regardless of age. It’s on the basis of one’s immense patience and caring responsibility towards a CP individual that can help them lead a somewhat normal and happy life that seems worth living.